Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Why are we Giving Thanks?

What comes to mind when we think of Thanksgiving? Family gathering, football, Turkey, cranberry sauce, pies and shopping on Black Friday are images that cross our minds. Of course, none of this came to mind when the Pilgrims sat down with Wampanoag Indian Tribe. It was a Harvest Feast for them, giving thanks for "nature." We model our modern-day Thanksgiving Holiday after Harvest Festival. The Pilgrims and The Wampanoag gave thanks for nature. Why are we giving thanks?

From Wikipedia, definition of Thanksgiving Day

"The First Thanksgiving", painted by Jean Leon Gerome Ferris (1863–1930).
Thanksgiving Day Observed by Canada, United States
Type National Date Second Monday in October (Canada);Fourth Thursday in November (U.S.)
2008 date October 13, 2008 (Canada);November 27, 2008 (U.S.)
2009 date October 12, 2009 (Canada);November 26, 2009 (U.S.)

Thanksgiving, or Thanksgiving Day, is a traditional North American holiday, and is a form of harvest festival. The date and whereabouts of the first Thanksgiving celebration is a topic of modest contention. Though the earliest attested Thanksgiving celebration was on September 8, 1565 in what is now Saint Augustine, Florida[1][2], the traditional "first Thanksgiving" is venerated as having occurred at the site of Plymouth Plantation, in 1621. Today, Thanksgiving is celebrated on the second Monday of October in Canada and on the fourth Thursday of November in the United States. Thanksgiving dinner is held on this day, usually as a gathering of family members.



Why I give Thanks
My Friend everyday we should give thanks. Give thanks to God for being able to wake up another day. We should give thanks for our health, our family, friends, our jobs, being self-employed, people who adopt, people who give to charity, people who help the elderly and the sick, people who feed and shelter the homeless, Organizations that help fulfill needs, Our forefathers, our Leaders, Pastors, Teachers, Doctors, people who instill vision. Give thanks for everything, and everybody!
Today I reflect on what I am thankful for. I am thankful for a roof over my head, clothes on my back, food on my shelves, my son, family, and my health (just to name a few). I am thankful for making a decision to FIRE my boss 13 months and 26 days ago. I am blessed to be at home, raising my son. I am thankful for my 400+ business partners who decided to a part of the 2% of the wealthy people. It's not easy making a decision to do something different, and or get out of your comfort zone. Be thankful for having it all or next to nothing. Be Thankful that you lived to see another Thanksgiving.

Happy Thanksgiving to all my readers! Share with me, why you give thanks? Or what Thanksgiving means to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you, for your comment. We received your comment, however before your comment publish, it will be reviewed with in the next 48 hours. **Remember to leave your url? htpp://www.123travel.com

BetterRTA.Biz group.